3 Books with the Word RED in the Title


February prompt - RED


                                              RED

The first thing that comes to mind at the word red is blood. I guess that has to do with one of my favourite books RED QUEEN.
Today I'm going to post a review of some books I have read with the word RED in the title.
But first...
More about the word red and what it means to me.

"Red to call enchantment down"

Never wear red with blue.








Music
For a while, Taylor Swift was my favourite singer. I have all her albums except Reputation.
One of them is called Red. 
Like many albums, this one is named after one of the songs. Listen to the track RED.

Image result for TS REDCHORUS

Losing him was blue like I'd never known
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met
But loving him was red
Oh, red
Burning red











poems

A few days ago I wrote a poem called RED and posted it on my blog as part of my Thirty Days of Poetry challenge. 

RED
red is blood
dripping from my heart
you should have seen it
from the start

red is fire
burning away the pain
why did I
do this again

red is warmth
and midsummer sun
but really summer
has just begun

red is the quilt
my grandma made
keeps me warm
though colour fades

red is the heart
i doodled down
my love
shall never be found

red is my tear
i am dying
and blood falls
i am crying.


BOOKS

the part you've been waiting for!
3 books with the word RED in the title!


When I picked up this book, I was a bit sceptical. The main character, Saba, tells the story from the first person, and she has an accent. "jest" "git" and stuff like that. It annoyed me, but I got used to it. Another thing that pissed me off was the lack of speech marks. There weren't any. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book.
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when four cloaked horsemen capture Lugh, Saba's world is shattered, and she embarks on a quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the outside world, Saba discovers she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba's unrelenting search for Lugh stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization

I started Red Queen because it was on the Goodreads Top Ten YA Fantasy a while ago on sci-fi and fantasy week. 
The first paragraph "I hate First Fridays" does not really draw you in, and I didn't really enjoy the first part if this book. But I urge you to continue reading though, it gets AMAZING!!!
I love the characters and the world, oh, and in case you were wondering; TEAM MAVEN!
I love how this book explores race and identity, in such a strange way. I think another thing is realizing we are defined by our actions, but the characters have to kill many innocents. They don't all have the same view on innocent though.  This is a world divided by blood - red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace.
READ MORE here.


Image result for sisters red

This retelling of Little Red Riding Hood actually surprised me by being AMAZING.
No, it didn't.
Sister's Red is not particularly good. And that big-plot-twist-at-the-end. I guessed at the first mention of it. Um, hello, blurb? Give away much?
It wasn't very good. I didn't relate to any of the characters and the romance was just plain cliche. 
The only character I liked was Oma March. That's right. The grandma. 
I'm sorry to say this wasn't a very good book. 
Still, I'm not saying don't give it a go. I'd recommend it to younger readers, though no-one likes to be called a 'younger reader'. A lot of people would call me one.
This book just completely wasn't for me, but I can see how it might be appealing to someone with different tastes, so don't completely write it off your to-read list!
It drew me in just to disappoint me. The cover is awesome. Not so the content. It's not the idea though, one of my favourite series are fairytale retellings and I love the Little Red one, in which the main character is also called Scarlet, without the extra T.

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris — the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend — but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Comments

  1. Love red roses! We have 2 bushes in our front yard and when they are in bloom, love the frangrance when we walk by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. Lucky you. We have a lot of flowers in our front garden but no roses. :(

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the thoughts in your poem and wow, you did a great job with the red prompt. I think I have Blood Red Road on my shelf somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first impulse is to think of blood with red too. And I really loved this verse "red is fire
    burning away the pain
    why did I
    do this again" *chills*

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I want those shoes. I'm a sucker for heels. Also, I've read Sisters Red and didn't like it either. In fact, I'd rather forget all about it. Great post and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The heels are GORGEOUS. I want them too. Unfortunatly, the photos just one from Pinterest. :(. Yeah, it was pretty crap.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know, I know. I could pretend I own them but it's just an image I liked from online. :(

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, love those red shoes. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Smell It?

Review Policy